In one of my recent articles, I shared my personal story about my experience with depression in the entrepreneurial world, and what I did to break free from a period of burnout this past year.
Today, I wanted to expand on this topic and share some practical tips and tools you can use to clear and balance your energy whenever you’re feeling stuck in a negative spiral of dark moods.
Before I begin, here’s a quick disclaimer: The following is not medical advice and is not meant to replace professional treatment. Rather, my intention is to shed some light on the spiritual and energetic aspects of depression—because that’s really how I see it as an intuitive healer and energy worker.
Typically, when we feel depressed, here’s what’s happening energetically:
Feelings of depression are almost always connected to energy imbalances in our physical, emotional, mental and energy bodies. Which means that we’re either lacking energy because we’re giving away too much of our power to negative outside influences (e.g. co-dependent relationships), or there are energy blockages that create a sense of stagnation in our system.
Either way, clearing these blockages on an energetic level is often one of the quickest ways to create relief and initiate movement in a more positive direction, which (through the law of attraction) prepares the ground for longer lasting changes.
Here are a few easy ways you can clear and shift your vibration even if you don’t yet have a whole lot of experience working with energy:
5 WAYS TO CLEAR + BALANCE YOUR ENERGY
WHEN YOU ARE FEELING LOW VIBE
1. Use sage to cleanse your space: Burning sage (as well as other cleansing substances such as frankincense, myrrh, palo santo, etc.) is one of the fastest ways to create an immediate shift in your space. It works both on the physical and energy level and instantly clears any lower energies in your surroundings, including the ones that may have come from outside of your home (e.g. through visitors, social media, or collective energies you may be sensing). If you’re fairly sensitive to energies, you’ll typically feel a shift within a couple minutes, if not seconds.
2. Spend time in nature: Connecting with nature is another great way to instantly clear your energy and reconnect with your own true being. Nature has an amazing ability to transmute lower energies. Just like plants have the ability to turn CO2 into fresh, breathable oxygen, nature can recycle negative into positive energy. Spending time outside is also an excellent way to ground. In other words, when you’re in nature, your entire spiritual energy returns to your physical body, which will immediately give you a sense of being more alive and energized.
3. Take excellent care of your physical body: Make sure you’re getting enough sleep, eating clean, high-vibrational foods that nourish your body, using toxin free body care products and cleaning supplies, getting the exercise you need, etc. The more high-vibe you are, the easier it is to keep your energy flowing the way it’s supposed to, and the less likely you are to lose energy. On the other hand, when you’re already tired and exhausted, energy can drain out of your system even more easily. Therefore, do whatever it takes for you to feel 100% well, safe and nourished in your physical body.
4. Set proper boundaries: Often, a feeling of being drained is a result of taking on lower energies from our surroundings or giving away our own energy to other people or negative situations. Be mindful of how you’re interacting with others in your relationships. Don’t be afraid to say no to requests that don’t feel fully aligned with your truth. Also, use social media consciously. Avoid endlessly scrolling your newsfeed just for the sake of being busy. If you’re feeling drained after connecting with others or spending time online, remember to clear your energy, for instance by burning sage or working with an energy healing technique.
5. Watch your thoughts: Finally, be mindful of what you’re focusing your mental energy on. Depression and low-vibe moods have a tendency to perpetuate themselves by initiating spirals of negative thinking. Monitoring your thoughts can require some self-discipline, but often, a simple shift in perspective can create an energetic change very quickly. This does not mean that you should suppress your feelings or deny your reality in any way. In fact, allowing yourself to feel your emotions is a necessary first step towards healing. Only when we are honest with ourselves about where we’re at, we can make a conscious choice to create change.
Nonetheless, on a mental level, one of the quickest ways to lighten the load is to consciously focus on what you’re grateful for in your life. Pay attention to what is working rather than what’s not working. Then, follow the inspiration that arises from there.
You may receive guidance to make bigger changes in your life, you may feel inspired to take further steps on your healing journey, or you may even attract unexpected new opportunities simply through your shift in vibration.
Last but not least: Be loving and patient with yourself! Fully breaking free from depression can take some time and persistence.
But then again, your happiness is your choice. I truly believe that! Once you make the decision to be free, you are free to create anything you want—including happiness and joy!